Did you know that the suction involved during hickeys can cause damage to a major artery in the neck, creating a blood clot that can cause a stroke.
A teenage boy has died from a stroke that is understood to have been caused by a love bite from his girlfriend.
Doctors believe the suction of the hickey—or love bite—resulted in a blood clot, which traveled to Julio Macias Gonzalez’s brain and caused a stroke, the Independent and local Mexican media reported. The teenager had convulsions while eating dinner with his family after hanging out with his 24-year-old girlfriend and later died, the newspaper said.
This is at least the second reported incident of a hickey causing a stroke. A hickey had caused a 44-year-old New Zealand woman to have a non-fatal stroke, according to a 2010 study published in the New Zealand Medical Journal. Researchers at the time called the medical condition “a rare phenomenon.”
Emergency services were called, but the boy died at the scene.
The boy’s parents blamed his girlfriend for the death, and she is thought to be in hiding.
Another case case of a love bite causing a stroke was reported.
In 2011, a 44-year-old woman from New Zealand experienced loss of movement in her left arm and was taken to hospital.
According to media reports from the time doctors suspected she had had a stroke but couldn’t work out why, until they noticed a bruise on the right side of her neck, left by a love bite.
They concluded the suction from the love bite had damaged a major artery and formed a blood clot, which travelled to her heart and caused a minor stroke.
The woman was treated with warfarin, an anti-coagulant, and the clot disappeared almost entirely within a week, leading to a full recovery.
Dr Wu told local media that if the woman had not been treated quickly she could have suffered further strokes.
‘Strokes have different levels of severity,’ he said, ‘but possibly patients can become paralysed.’
Featured image source